In the spirit of loosing 20 lbs over the next 12 weeks, I thought I would post some weight loss pointers that I have found. (note: I didn't say that these are all things that I am currently doing, but will probably be putting into practice!)
- Believe you can do it! Find a mantra that will help you and post it somewhere! I am going to write mine on my bathroom mirror with a white erase marker. Mine is Philippians 4:12-13 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
- Find an ideal calorie budget for your body! I am using the Weight Watchers points system because they have taken the time to do the research for me and I know it works. Eating too little can do horrible things to your metabolism.
- Make healthy substitutions! Switch to fat free dairy products, whole grain bread instead of white bread, brown rice or couscous instead of white rice, lean meats...you get the idea.
- Build a support system! Yeah for me, I have started that on this blog. Come back for my first Tell ALL Tuesday if you want some accountability and encouragement.
- Expect and Push Through Plateaus! Okay, I've done some reading on this the last few days and if the scale is stuck for more than about 3 weeks then it is time to cut the calories and/or step up the exercise.
- Write down everything you eat! If you are like me, this might just make you stop and think before you put that 'questionable' food item in your mouth. My WW leader even keeps a line for BLT's (bites, licks, and tastes).
- Ask, Is it worth it? My WW leader said something this week that hit me pretty hard. She said that if you don't want to throw away that package of cookies that you paid for that keeps tempting you, then you might as well throw away your $10 WW weekly fee! Ouch, never really looked at it that way! Also, is it worth an hour on the treadmill or a half pound up on the scale if I eat that piece of cake?
- Move! Do some form of exercise every day! I am going to work at finding activities that will include exercise without it being so much 'work'. For example, I love taking my kids to the zoo (even though it is a beating sometimes)....I get lots of exercise pushing the stroller and going up and down the hills. I am going to make an effort to walk them to the park more often too rather than just turning them into the back yard. Oh and I am going to learn to roller blade! (more on that later...)
- Strength train! Muscle burns more calories than fat! One pound of fat = 3,500 calories.
- Face emotional eating head on! Do you have a plan for that moment when crisis strikes, when you are stressed, when you are soooo tired? We have to have a plan that includes several activities that will give us the boost we are looking for without having to put food in our mouths! Go outside and garden, take a hot bath, go get your nails done, go on a walk, what will you do the next time you have the urge to emotional eat?
- Keep fitness equipment within reach! I read on some one's blog that she bought several fitness balls for her family to sit on if they were watching TV or playing games. She had bought herself one but could never find it when she wanted to use it because the kids were always playing with it! What a great idea!!! Keep hand weights near your spot on the couch...start picking them up while you are just sitting there!
- Volumize your diet with high water veggies and fruit! Eat grapes instead of raisins, and so on. There is much research that shows that we eat about the same amount of weight of food every day so if you are drinking your calories or eating more calories dense foods, that will spell trouble for the weight loss efforts!
- Find someone else to encourage and help in their weight loss journey! I am not an encourager but I am learning. I have learned from doing Bible studies, that in the 'teacher' role I always learn more and am challenged more and well, kept more accountable.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
Great timing. It's that time of year again when we start thinking about our spring and summer clothes, yikes! Good luck to you.
thanks for the tips...
Visit my T13 : What I want..... Thanks.
Great tips. Thanks!
Great tips Natalie! I am a firm believer in excercise and the benefits of it by far exceed just losing weight... I am way less tired and I hardly ever get sick.
Now I will though! I just jinxed myself.
Keep up the hard work, it WILL pay off!
Great list!! I struggle with my desire to be more fit and old habits. Your list is a great way to start! I should make my own!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Great tips. Congratulations on all the weight you've lost already.
Great list. My TT next week (4/29) is about healthy choices. I love Thursday Thirteen!
Post a Comment